During the holiday season, you’ll probably find yourself cooking more ham than you have all year! This is where sliced ham comes in handy, as it’s already been cooked and is great for leftovers, whether you store it in your fridge or freeze it.
Therefore, it’s important to know if you can reheat cooked ham and how you should do this. In our article we’ll take you through 7 easy methods for reheating sliced ham, but first let’s answer the burning question: Can ham slices be reheated?
Should You Reheat Ham Slices?
Ham is a kind of pork that has been smoked, cured, or both. There is a wide range of ham available nowadays, from tender and lean to dry and salty. While you can eat ham slices cold, a lot of people like to reheat ham.
There are a few ways to reheat ham, depending on what you prefer. For instance, ham slices can be reheated in the microwave, the oven, or on the stovetop.
Still, it is essential to remember that ham slices have already been cooked, so when you reheat them you must make sure they are warm throughout. Meanwhile, overheating ham slices can make the slices dry and tough. Therefore, it pays to be cautious when reheating ham slices.
As anybody who owns an air fryer knows, they’re not just for fried foods, and they can even be used to reheat a whole host of foods – sliced ham included! You just need to follow these steps:
- Step 1: Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Step 2: Put the sliced ham in the basket and cook for 3 minutes so the ham can stay tasty and moist.
- Step 3: Once the ham is heated all the way through, you can take it out of the air fryer and dig in!
Reheating ham slices in a frying pan is another great method. It’s simple and quick, and always gives you wonderfully tasty and delicious ham. Just follow the below steps:
- Step 1: Add chicken stock or water. Pour your choice into a frying pan, and heat it over medium heat.
- Step 2: Place the ham in the frying pan and place a lid over the top. This helps the pan to steam up and keep the slices moist while they reheat.
- Step 3: If you need to, add more water or chicken stock as it starts to evaporate, to make sure the ham stays moist and doesn’t dry out.
- Step 4: Cook the ham for a couple of minutes before removing it from the heat and digging it! The ham should be cooked perfectly, and should make for a tasty meal.
Reheating ham in an instant pot is a simple and quick method. You just need to follow the steps below:
- Step 1: Put the sliced ham in your Instant pot and add chicken stock or water.
- Step 2: Cook the ham slices on the steaming setting for five minutes, then take off the lid and check the ham. If it’s not heated all the way through, put the lid back on and allow it to steam for a couple of minutes.
- Step 3: Once the ham is cooked all the way through, take it out of the Instant Pot and dig in. It really is so simple and quick!
If you want a simple and quick way to reheat slices of ham, then you can’t go wrong with the microwave! Just make sure to keep the below steps in mind so the slices will turn out tasty and moist.
- Use a microwave-safe dish: Put the slices on a microwave-safe dish or plate that is covered with damp paper towels. This prevents the ham from becoming dry as it reheats.
- Cook the ham: Cook the ham on low power for 30 seconds to a minute, depending on how many slices you are reheating. Make sure to frequently check on the ham so it doesn’t overcook.
- Take the ham out of the microwave: Lastly, take the ham out of the microwave and put it on a plate. Allow the ham to cool for a couple of minutes so you can eat the ham without burning the inside of your mouth!
Although reheating ham slices in the oven may be more time-consuming than the other methods on our list, it’s a good way to keep the ham tasty and moist. You just need to follow these easy steps to get your ham slices perfectly reheated.
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit before you reheat your cooked ham. This makes sure that the ham is heated thoroughly and evenly.
- Step 2: Line a baking tray with parchment paper or foil before placing the sliced ham on the dish.
- Step 3: Add a couple of spoonfuls of chicken stock or water to the dish, before placing foil over the top. This steams up the ham and keeps it moist while reheating.
- Step 4: Put the ham in the oven and leave it to cook for 15 minutes. This makes sure the ham keeps its flavor and moistness.
- Step 5: Once the ham is thoroughly reheated, take it out of the oven and enjoy.
Again, using a slow cooker is one of the slower methods on our list, but it’s also an awesome way to reheat ham slices and not dry it out. The below steps will tell you how to reheat your ham slices in a slow cooker:
- Step 1: Put the ham slices in your slow cooker and add chicken stock or water.
- Step 2: Put your slow cooker on a low heat and allow it to cook for 2 hours. This helps to keep the ham juicy, as well as keeps the flavor.
- Step 3: Once the ham has finished cooking, carefully take it out of the slow cooker.
It can be difficult to reheat ham slices. After all, you don’t want the slices to dry out and you don’t want it to toughen up. This is where a steamer comes in, as if you follow the below steps you can avoid those problems:
- Step 1: Put the ham slices in a steamer basket and set it over a boiling pot of water.
- Step 2: Put a lid on the pot and allow the steam to do its thing for 5 minutes. This will ensure the ham is moist and won’t overcook.
- Step 3: Take the lid off after 5 minutes and check the ham. If the ham has been heated thoroughly, take it out of the steamer and dig in! If it’s not ready, take the lid off and allow it to steam for a couple of minutes.
How Long Does It Take To Warm Up Ham Slices?
Whether you’re enjoying ham in a breakfast dish, or enjoying it for dinner, you can reheat ham slices easily and quickly. It normally takes under 5 minutes to reheat one ham slice. This short cooking time makes ham slices a great meal choice for when you don’t have much time.
How Do You Keep Reheated Ham Slices Moist?
As we’ve mentioned, reheating slices of ham can be tricky sometimes. If you’re not careful, the ham can easily dry out, becoming tough and unpleasant to eat. Still, there are a few tips that we’ve shared below that can ensure your ham remains tasty and moist.
Firstly, cut the ham slices thinly. The thicker the slices, the more likely it is they will dry out when reheating them. Secondly, cover the dish you’re reheating the ham on, with a little bit of chicken stock or water to steam it up. This will prevent the ham from drying out.
Lastly, add a couple of spoonfuls of glaze before you dish up. This will give the ham more flavor and moisture. Remember, it’s important to keep in mind that what appliance you’re using to reheat ham slices – such as the microwave or the oven – can also make a difference to how moist the sliced ham is.
How Long Should You Keep Reheated Ham?
Now we’ve gone through the methods for reheating sliced ham while keeping it moist and tasty, you may be wondering how long you can keep reheated ham. Usually, reheated ham is good to eat for up to 4 days. Still, you need to keep a couple of things in mind.
Firstly, ensure the ham is heated all the way through before you eat it. Secondly, make sure to store the ham in the fridge properly, either by tightly wrapping it in plastic wrap, or placing it in an airtight container. So there you go! With some good planning, you can enjoy leftover ham slices safely.
Reheating ham slices can be simple as long as you know the best ways to do so. An Instant Pot, slow cooker, steamer, or other appliance can be used to reheat sliced ham while keeping it moist.
However, you should make sure it’s heated thoroughly before eating, and keep any leftovers in the fridge for a maximum of 4 days following reheating. With all that in mind, you can enjoy leftover ham safely.
Frequently Asked Questions
The simplest way to see if sliced ham has spoiled is by its scent. If the ham smells off or sour, you should throw it away. Color changes or mold growth are also signs of spoilage.
Cooked ham can be kept in the fridge for up to 4 days when correctly stored.
You can store leftover ham in the fridge, either tightly wrapped in plastic wrap or an airtight container.
Yes, ham can be frozen for up to 6 months, and sliced or whole ham can be frozen. It’s better to freeze whole ham if you want to keep it frozen for over 3 months. However, it’s more convenient to thaw and use frozen ham slices.
So your ham stays as fresh as possible, ensure it is well-wrapped before you place it in the freezer.
- Are Oreos Vegan? - May 26, 2023
- What Is Mutton? - May 26, 2023
- What Does Matcha Taste Like? - May 26, 2023